23 Jun 2011

Ai Weiwei released from detention

After 81 days in detention, China's best-known artist, Ai Weiwei, returned home a considerably thinner and noticeably quieter man.

Ai-Weiwei-free

"I'm fine. I'm out," the 54-year-old artist told the Guardian in a telephone call shortly after his release on bail. "I'm back with my family. I'm very happy."

The state news agency, Xinhua, said police had released him "because of his good attitude in confessing his crimes" and a chronic illness. Speaking from his home in north Beijing, the usually outspoken artist said he could not comment any further, adding: "I'm on bail. Please understand." Ai's sister Gao Ge said: "I'm very, very happy … we thank everyone, including our media friends, for all their help and support so far."

See The Guardian for full story