5 Nov 2008

Brzezinski: Obama Will Face “Imminent” Foreign Policy Problems

Trilateral Commission co-founder and top Obama advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski told CNN yesterday that Barack Obama would be faced with “imminent problems” in the context of foreign policy once he takes office, echoing prophetic warnings made recently by Joe Biden, Colin Powell and Madeleine Albright.

Appearing on CNN’s Global Public Square with host Fareed Zakaria, Brzezinski said that President Carter contacted him to ask who he should appoint to different posts after he captured the White House, perhaps a hint that Obama might do the same.

“The president at one point called me, and rather cleverly asked me who I thought ought to occupy what posts. And I gave him advice. And I finally came to the post of national security adviser,” said Brzezinski, adding that Carter offered him the position.

Zakaria asked Brzezinski if the president-elect should “start sending signals to foreign governments”.

Prison Planet